Wednesday, April 16, 2008

more of the test grisaille....

This is the latest of the test pear! It started with 2 glazes of DS hansa yellow medium over the grisaille. Then more glazes of WN burnt umber and DS burnt orange. For the red, I started with WN Bright Red but changed that to Perylene Red because I found the other too cool. A very small bit of sap green and this is how it ended.

Next photo shows the page this is taken from, along with notes I scribbled down as I went.

So now, with this test, I know what to expect and how to get what I want. I love the way the grisaille underpainting completes all the shadows at this stage. I really like this style.
Next comes the 1/4 sheet of Arches CP 300 lb. I'll draw it out and start tomorrow. Bedtime now.
















2 comments:

Ann Buckner said...

I enjoyed seeing this latest pear Deb, as well as reading the notes you made. What a great way to keep track of information on these studies. Sure looking forward to seeing your larger painting begin too.

Deb Léger said...

Hi Ann, thanks for looking and commenting! You gave me the idea of keeping track of the info but I had to scribble it down or I'd forget to post it. lol. So, I thought I'd just post the scribbles instead. Looking forward to more of your's too. I'm off to paint now.