Monday, September 14, 2009

Rice Paper Waves













I've been adding colour to one of the marbelized paintings. This one is going to be waves crashing against a rock. You can see the 'rock' at the far right with a bit of it's 'head' up above the main part. That's going to be in Burnt Siennas and Quin Burnt Orange and some browns. I've been trying to put lots of colour into the waves. Blues and greens and mauves and indigos. I'm losing some of the whitecaps as the colour seeps a LOT with this paper so I''m planning on using gouache later.

Once the rice paper is wet, it's almost like painting blind. Slow but fun. And I still say it's like painting on wet kleenex. (That little black dragon in front is just a brush rest that's holding the board in place for the pic.)

6 comments:

Cindi said...

hey looks like you are having lots of fun.. now that you havea bit more time!!! yippee!! im sitting her giggling about painting on kleenex.. not easy!!

Deb Léger said...

Hi Cindi, it *is* lots of fun - just splashing about. I'd like to mount it to the watercolour paper now but I don't think it'd take the paint the same if I do. But it's still fun!

RH Carpenter said...

Looks wonderful so far, Deb! I can feel that water rushing over the rocks :)

Deb Léger said...

Thanks Rhonda!

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, it has been interesting watching you bring this painting to completion. Love the movement and the textures. Some wonderful depth in it.

Deb Léger said...

Thanks very much, Ann!