Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Homer Pastiche

Months ago, I belonged to the Watercolor Landscape Group. During the month I left, a Winslow Homer pastiche was being done. Since then, it's sat on my table. I'd look at it often and think how I "should" finish it. Last night, I took it to the painting group I'm in and worked at it. (A pastiche is a work that imitates the style of an artist, usually one who has passed on ages ago, and it's done for learning purposes.)


For most of the night, it was at that stage of "the uglies" when you just hate anyone seeing it. It looked so awful, I was really embarrassed when anyone would look at it and I was constantly thinking, "THIS is why I don't like painting in front of anyone!" I worked past that, though, and am glad. I need to paint more often in front of people. I"m becoming a recluse. lol.


Here's the original, above, done by Winslow Homer. (I just can't understand that tree in the background!) What I love about this is that it was painted in the Adirondacks, a favourite place of Homer. I live about an hour away from the Adirondacks and on a clear day, can see them beautifully in the distance if I look south across the river. Kinda brings you a bit closer to the painting. I also love the clarity and transparency he's got in his painting.

The tree, the man, the dead tree and a few reflections in the water are all masked out. I wanted to keep those areas pristine until I had the darks put in. I see an area though, just to the left of the standing tree that I don't like - there's an almost definite black line so that's going to be corrected. Need to work at the greens of the bushes around the base of the tree also. But all in all, I'm pretty happy with what I managed to accomplish last night. Darks can be tricky to do in watercolour but they're not turning out too badly here.

I'll post more as I get it done. Why, maybe even tonight after work - wouldn't that be a shocker!!!

2 comments:

OFP said...

Nice pictures.

Deb Léger said...

Hi Proof,

Thanks for looking at my blog and for taking the time to comment!

Deb