Monday, February 9, 2009

A quickie




















This was a really fast one for a group I'm in - we're exploring colour. This was done for a painting with complementaries. I chose blue and orange. (There's a bit of New Gamboge - Daniel Smith in there, too.) The browns were made by mixing the blue and orange. Blue is Indanthrene Blue by Winsor Newton and the orange was made by mixing New Gamboge by Daniel Smith with Napthol Red by M. Graham.

I have this plant pot sitting on my desk holding some paintbrushes. (Actually, I have several with paintbrushes sorted into each one. I.e. rounds, flats, useless tinies, pencils, tools, most used and one pot for some I've delegated for acrylic use.) I love old plant pots, especially those with lots of character.

I chose to 'draw' this with a paintbrush - an exercise for loosening up.

I have to say that I'm new to the M. Graham line of paint and I really love the three tubes I bought to try out! The pigment is really strong and the colour is so rich. The consistency is creamy - just like I like - and easy to mix with water. (I hate those brands that are almost as thick as paste!) I've let some of the red dry out on a palette and it dries hard. Many people say they stay runny but not this one, nor the others I'm trying! It also reconstitutes beautifully!! I'm converted!

This painting is just a quickie, though, not much there, just an exercise .......

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful little pot and love the blue brushes!!

Ann Buckner said...

Great textures on that pot and love the complements you used. More please!

Deb Léger said...

Hi Rhonda and Ann!

Thanks for the compiments on the complements. (Couldn't resist that. lol) I liked doing that - it didn't take long and worked good. So Ann, there might be more after all....

Deb