Sunday, February 15, 2009

Watercolour over gesso















I thought I'd post this one to show the effect of watercolour over gesso. The leaves of this one were done over gesso. Why? Because I'd left the masking fluid on there too darned long and couldn't get it off. It just kind of sunk into the paper. Soooooo, since the rest had been finished and I had liked it, I painted over the damaged masking fluid with gesso, let it dry and then painted with watercolour paints. I've always loved these leaves and have wanted to do an entire painting this way since I finished this one.

I thought it was a good save.

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I've discovered that a lot of knowing watercolor and mastering it is just knowing what to do when you mess up something - so it's knowing all the "fixes" and this was a good one :)

Sandy Maudlin said...

GREAT save. Just proves how important it is to always have Plan B with watercolor! That's a Nicholas Simmons' quote.

Deb Léger said...

Hi Rhonda and Sandy! Thanks for the comments.

Rhonda, yes, the 'fixes' can come in handy. Sure beats throwing something out that you've worked hard on.

Sandy, I like Nick's quote! (I have his dvd and love it!) I like calling them Plan B's. lol.